London Bridge hero: When the attack happened, I acted instinctively

Revealed: Pole is a hero but he is not “Captain Narwhal”

editor: REMIX NEWS
author: Fakt

More information about the harrowing London Bridge terrorist attack, including the heroic efforts of the Polish porter working in the local Fishmonger’s Hall, has now been released by London’s Metropolitan Police. 

On Friday afternoon, 28-year-old Usman Khan ran into Fishmonger’s Hall at London Bridge armed with two knives and attacked a group of people inside the building, mortally wounding two Cambridge students.

As panic ensued, 38-year-old Łukasz Koczocik, who worked inside the hall as a porter, did everything he could to stop the terrorist attack.

“When the attack happened, I acted instinctively,” said Koczocik. “I am now coming to terms with the whole traumatic incident and would like the space to do this in privacy, with the support of my family.

“I would like to express my condolences to the families who have lost precious loved ones. I would like to send my best wishes to them and everyone affected by this sad and pointless attack.”

Koczocik’s boss, Toby Williamson, described the Pole’s heroic actions in an interview for BBC News. He explained that Koczocik had been washing dishes when the attack started and ran out of the basement, grabbing a 1.5-meter long lance (not a narwhal tusk) and threw himself at the terrorist.

The Pole dueled the assailant and bought enough time for the other people in the building to escape outside, Williamson recounted. He added that although Koczocik had suffered five knife wounds he continued to try to overpower the terrorist.

Soon after, two other people came to help Koczocik, one wielding a fire extinguisher and another a narwhal tusk (first thought to have been Koczocik). They chased Khan out of the building and onto the road where Khan was shot dead by the London police.

The London police have published the statement of Koczocik, whose intervention prevented further bloodshed during the terrorist attack on London Bridge.

“On the afternoon of Friday, 29 November I was working at Fishmongers Hall as normal when the unimaginable and tragic terrorist attack happened.

“I and several others tried to stop a man from attacking people inside the building. I did this using a pole I found. Someone else was holding a narwhal tusk.

“The man attacked me, after which he left the building. A number of us followed him out but I stopped at the bollards of the bridge. I had been stabbed and was later taken to hospital to be treated. I am thankful that I have now been able to return home.”


tend: 1709575342.9338